This year I decided to not plow my ground and instead use raised garden beds. There are so many advantages over using raised garden beds compared to direct ground. However, a lot of stores sell kits ranging from $40 to $200. For me, I want something cost efficient to increase my return on investment. So, I decided to go the free route, or very close to free!
I have been stocking pallets since last year from my job. We get them in with different shipments and some of them are in great condition, while others are a little less than desirable. But, it’s free wood that’s already cut! If your job doesn’t have these lying around, you can easily pick them up from stores or other places of business. You want to get the nonpainted/nontreated type for this build. Paint and other chemicals can leak into the soil and you don’t want that for your plants.
I’ve built a few already this year, but I wanted to show you guys what the final product looks like. The inside space measures 40 inches by 40 inches and gives you just over nine square feet of soil space. The height of the bed measures right at 10 1/2 inches which is right in the sweet spot for growing vegetables.
I also grabbed some video from the build, from start to finish! I’m going to edit it and it will be posted tomorrow.
It has been a full 30 days since I started my Homestead Tomato seeds and it’s time to get a quick update on the happenings of the “Three-Leafed” guy! On my previous post, I showed that out of about 30 plants, I had one seedling that decided to have three seed leaves instead of the ordinary two leaves.
Over the weekend, I decided to go ahead and thin the seedlings out, mainly because they were getting way too crowded for my liking. Good thing I did because the roots started to intertwine with each of the plants like something fierce. When I thinned these seedlings, I basically divided the plants into sets of three. One set I went ahead and planted outside in a raised box. One set I kept in the seed starting pots and still inside. And the last set, that included the Tricot, I put into clay pots using the outside soil, but brought it inside. Again, another experiment to see which will out perform each other.
I will go ahead and say that I really didn’t notice much progression from my first post to the thinning stage of the Tricot tomato while some of the other seedlings were advancing. However, since I have thinned the seedlings we are starting to see the formation of the actual leaves take place. Hopefully, it will catch up and surpass the other plants in the days to come!
As I was checking on my tomato and zucchini seedlings tonight, I came across something very odd. Once a seed germinates, generally it will produce a seedling with two seed leaves. These leaves help start the photosynthesis of the plant and allows it to turn from a seedling into a real plant.
After checking my zucchini, I scanned over the tomato starter pots and noticed that 1 out of almost 30 plants had 3 leaves, making it a tricoyledon! A quick search online and I found different stories ranging from 50% more yield to 1/3 more to no yield at all. Also found that if it were productive, then the seeds were less likely to be any good for a next round of germination. Not much information was found on whether or not cloning would work.
Here’s what I planned to do: I am going to continue to allow my tomato tricot to grow from seedling into a mature plant. Once it gets time to transplant from indoor to outdoor, I will separate from others and do some comparisons. I would definitely love for this thing to produce more than the others, however it will be interesting to see, if any, the differences.